Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Heal the Undead

I can't say I ever use to like the idea of magic in computer RPGs. It just seemed silly. Supernatural spells? That doesn't even make enough sense for a suspension of disbelief (not that I would have used such a term at the time). As I've started playing computer RPGs again and having recently played a good bit of the strategy game Civ III, I tend to think of magical spells , summons, or what have you in computer RPGs as a sort of way of enhancing strategy. Perhaps that's an understatement. Magic in computer RPGs makes RPGs into strategy games of a sort. Healing the undead seems to support this idea. After all, healing the living actually heals them. But, when you realize that the undead aren't living (i. e. you analyze their characteristics), healing them makes sense. It's just like knowing your enemy (opponent) in a strategy game and then pro-acting accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment