Saturday, May 23, 2009

I must feel like I did when I was 11 or 12. I picked up the Nintendo DSi the other day and Civilization Revolution and the Final Fantasy IV remake. I did beat the original back in the day, but I never owned it... I just rented it and played like crazy when I did. Now I play at a more relaxed pace. The story feels fresh, since I haven't played the game since sometime in the 90s, and the last time I remember seeing anyone play part of the game was something like 2002 when I lived in a college dorm. The music still sounds great!

However, I did feel disappointed that they made it so the main title screen would cut to the intro. cut-scene before the arpeggio runs segue into the "main theme". A few hours later I guessed out I could just set up like I would load it in a moment, and wait until the "main theme" came on, and sure enough I could hear the "main theme". Beautiful. I believe here's how the same prelude originally sounded on the SNES.
The piece bears the name 'Prelude'. Some of the other versions of Prelude that appear in later FF games (I've only played I, IV, VI, and VII, but I've listened to other versions via YouTube) don't quite match up to the Prelude in FF IV. The FF IV Prelude feels like it has more energy and I would call it edgy.

I've felt amazed several times by the graphics in the remake. I can still remember the original game's graphics, even though I haven't seen it in years. And the DSi is what like 1/4 the size of an SNES and it has its own monitor? Moore's Law and all I guess.

Having just played one game of CivRev it seems cool and all, but for a Civ game I can't help but feeling "WHERE ARE THE WORKERS?"

I did play a game of M.U.L.E. (via an emulator on my computer) the other night vs. 3 computers on Tournament level as a Bonzoid. I was second in the 11th turn and pulled ahead to 1st in the last round and the colony did survive. I laughed seeing my offworld investments in "artifical dumbness" pay off. I forgot about in-game jokes like that. I did make a sort of grid to keep track of the quality (no/low/medium/high) of crystite deposits, as I remember doing when I played the game back in college. But, I didn't do it like how I remember my brother doing it well before that. I used a piece of paper. I remember my brother actually using a felt-tipped pen and writing on the television screen! He's an actuary now... go figure.

Oh... and since I've talked about games so much now, I may as well say that I play Tetris all day at work. O. K., not exactly. I set up a truck with boxes on pallets and then load donations into boxes. I have to figure out what can fit where, how to rearrange the truck when I get it, so I can put the boxes down on pallets, and then I figure out how donations can fit into the boxes I have set up. In other words, it's all about spatial relationships, or Tetris. Which I could play once I have the truck set up if I don't have any donors at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment